The People and History of Cyprus
A Brief History of Cyprus
* c. 8,500 - 8,000 B.C Hunter Gatherers
* 7,000 - 5,300 B.C. The first settlers: the Khirokitians.
* 4,000 - 2,500 B.C. Chalcolitic (Copper) Age: stone crucifix pendants are carved.
* 2,700-1,600 B.C. Cypriot Bronze Ages, Early and Middle: cattle, horses, and bronze making are introduced as well as highly indi- vidual pottery style.
* 1,600-1,050 B.C. The Late Bronze Age: period of sophisticated literate city states such as Enkomi-Alasia and Kition.
* 1500 - 1450 BC: Hittite rule in Cyprus
* 1450 BC - 1000 BC: Beginning of the Egyptian domination of the island.
* 1200 BC - 1000: Establishment of the city states of Salamis (capital at the time), Soli, Marion, Paphos, Kurium, and Kyrenia; arrival of Greek colonies.
* 1,000 - 850 B.C. The coming of Iron, the Dorians and a Dark Age also known as Cypro-Geometric I and II.
* 850 - 750 B.C The Phonecian-led Renaissance
* 750 BC - 612 BC: Assyrian rule of Cyprus.
* 568 BC - 525 BC: Egyptian rule.
* 525 BC - 333 BC: Persian occupation and the rule of the island.
* 333 BC - 58 BC: Hellenistic rule: the heirs of the Alexander the Great rule the island.
* 58 BC - 395 AD: Roman Empire ruling Cyprus: 350 years of quiet provincial prosperity.
* 395 AD - 1191 AD: Island becomes a part of the Byzantine Empire.
* 1191 AD - 1192: Rule of the island by Richard the Lionheart, of England.
* 1192 AD - 1489 AD: Rule of the island by the Frankish Lusignan dynasty.
* 1489 - 1570: Venetian domination of the island.
* 1571 - 1878: Conquest of the island by the Ottoman Empire.
* 1878 - 1925: In accordance with a defence-alliance between Britain and the Ottoman Empire, the administration of Cyprus passes to Britain.
* 1925 - 1960: Cyprus is annexed by Britain when Ottoman Empire enters into the World War I on the side of Germany; subsequently the island becomes a British Crown colony and under the British rule.
* 1960: Foundation of the Republic of Cyprus (by the Turkish and Greel Cypriot communities).
* 1963: Inter-communal strife in Cyprus and the subsequent collapse of the constitutional rule.
* 1974: Coup d'etat by the Greek army officers stationed on the island to overthrow the President (Makarios) with the aim of uniting the island with Greece; subsequent Turkish Military intervention (under the provisions of the Treaty of Guarantee of the Republic of Cyprus).
* 1974: Division of the island into Turkish-Cypriot North and Greek-Cypriot South; Declaration of the Turkish Federated State of Cyprus, to pave way for a federal settlement on the island.
* November 15, 1983: Foundation of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
The People of Cyprus
Population: 762,887 (July 2001 est.)
15-64 years: 66.26% (male 255,368; female 250,140)
65 years and over: 10.79% (male 35,864; female 46,465)
under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.02 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.77 male(s)/female
total population: 1 male(s)/female (2001 est.)
male: 74.6 years
female: 79.3 years (2001 est.)
total population: 94%
female: 91% (1987 est.)